Week of July 8-14, 2019
The “Quantified Self – Week of…” post is a data review of the previous week, highlighting a few key areas: Exercise / Sleep / Family / Language (Spanish) / Reading / Leisure.
“What gets measured gets managed.”
The exercise category took a nose dive this week — as did my head! Quite literally, as I went over the handle bars on my son’s scooter, and landed on my head. This resulted in a concussion and strict orders from the doctor to rest for a week. After 3 days of simply moving from the bed, to the couch, and back again…I added a few slow walks for the remaining 4 days of the week. Slow is the keyword here, and I’m grateful that Gia was willing to join me and go at a snail’s pace. That’s about it on the exercise front, and the total hours show for it.
TOTAL EXERCISE MINUTES: 224
The sleep data for the week is interesting, with consideration to the concussion and the impact it had (or didn’t have?). A decrease from the previous week in total number of hours slept, and slight dip in average percentage of Deep Sleep. Not sure what I expected. I guess I figured all the “bed rest” time ordered by the doctor might have increased number of hours asleep. But instead I simply was bored, and also had a hard time sleeping well.
- Total Sleep Hours: 37.55
- Average Sleep Hours Per Night: 5.3
- Average % of Deep Sleep Per Night: 28%
Total for the week: 0
Doctor’s orders also included “don’t think.” I’ll use that as the excuse for not studying Spanish this week.
FAMILY (aka: Connection time)
- A highlight of the week was witnessing the kids jump into “emergency triage mode” when I pulled the dumb Dad move of hotdogging on the scooter (with my head meeting the pavement). It appears they actually do care about their old man.
- Enjoyed some quality “bench-sitting” with Gia at the Lake. Helped break the monotony of laying around the house all week in darkened rooms.
- Doug Fields gave an inspiring message at Mariners Irvine – As always, Doug never disappoints.
- Ethan logged lots of driving practice time, and I enjoyed sneaking out of the house to join him on a few “rides.”
- Special quality time with Ella, helping her pack for HSM camp. About 1/3 of her suitcase being MY clothes. I’m OK with this, for many reasons (which words really can’t do justice here).
Photo of the week (via iPhone):