Week of July 1-7
This is my first “Quantified Self – Week of” post, which is (more simply put) a review of the previous week, highlighting a few key areas.
Why? Well, as Peter Drucker once said, “What gets measured gets managed.” And, there are a few areas I want to do a better job at managing. I’m still discerning what makes the most sense to measure, and suspect this will change/evolve in the months and years ahead, for now the focus will be on: Exercise / Sleep / Family / Language (Spanish) / Reading / Leisure. I measure the category of work separately for now. And the metrics won’t always be quantitative, because a primary purpose of this exercise is to pause and reflect on the week, and jot down observations that go beyond the numbers.
All in all a pretty good week on the exercise front. The most interesting insight is that I had the highest number of hours and activities on my birthday. A birthday wish granted — plenty of margin for exercise (combined with a good amount of family + leisure time, which also happened). While I did get back in the water, after a long hiatus, it was a slow entry and primarily dedicated to simply hanging out in the pool with the kids, passing the water polo ball around, and doing just a few hundred yards. On the gym front, Ethan and I logged some quality hours, much attributed to 3 days off of work. Also bumped up the number of lake walks with Gia, which was quite nice.
TOTAL EXERCISE MINUTES: 471
A rough week on the sleep front. Most nights averaged around just 5 hours. The average for the week was 6 hours. I’d like to get this closer to 7 hours for the average of the week. However, its early on the tracking & measuring, so will be interesting to see the trends moving forward, as I try various life hacks to improve sleep hours and quality.
I also gave thought to what’s best to measure, for me: Light Sleep | Deep Sleep | REM). Decided on Deep Sleep, as this seems to be the stage of sleep that is the most restorative to the body and mind (based on some non-scientific research via google).
- Total Sleep Hours: 42.45
- Average Sleep Hours Per Night: 6
- Average % of Deep Sleep Per Night: 33%
Total for the week: 1 hour
Rough week on the language learning front. Taking the Summer off from my weekly Spanish class is having an impact, lacking the discipline. I listened and practiced while working out at the gym 2x this past week — not ideal, but logged an hour. Definite need for improvement on this front.
Family (aka: Connection time)
- Ethan and I worked together laying sod on the side of the driveway — had a few good laughs and father/son teamwork!
- Fireworks at Rancho Santa Margarita lake — laughs, good food and drink, community and connection time with another favorite family.
- Double-date night with Gia and good friends — Starfish in Laguna Beach. Followed by live music via our friend “OC Elvis” at Harpoon Henry’s. Dancing!
- Many lake walks with Gia and the kids — including a lake picnic on my Birthday (Ella set up the hammock + Boba joined us).
- Mariners Mission Life — great service.
- San Juan Capistrano — wonderful wandering and leisure time with the family, including a really enjoyable (and tasty) lunch at Bueno Bueno.
- Skateboarding with Kai and Ella.
- Lot’s of gym time with Ethan (Gia joined us one day as well).
- Nice phone chats and catch-up with Mom(s) and Dad.
Photo of the week (via iPhone):